Friday, May 21, 2010

Maximize Career Discovery - The Value/Limitations of Assessments and Indicators


For the last several days I’ve been sharing “Career Discovery” Pointers….tools and techniques for uncovering your unique wiring with regard to talents, skills, passions, and personal qualities. So far I have primarily discussed Career Direction Question Sets and Career Direction Exercises. Next week I plan to begin reviewing a few formal assessments and instruments. These assessments and instruments have great potential value and also some limitations. First let’s look at the plus side.

Strength Assessments are used by thousands of employers as pre-interview and mid-interview screening devices. In the corporate world I served in for the last 16 years, assessments were standard operating procedure during the initial interview. Many companies have found them a boost to success in the marketplace with a corresponding tangible increase in revenue.

According to Dr. Charles Handler, author of Buyer’s Guide to Web-Based Screening & Assessment Systems, RadioShack increased their annual revenue by 12 million dollars a year when they added an assessment to their employment screening and interview process. When Neiman Marcus added assessment tools to their hiring process for sales people, their revenues went up and a costly turn-over rate went down.

If employers are using assessments to get the right people plugged into the right jobs, doesn’t it follow that you might also be able to use assessments to help you get plugged into the right job? If a company's revenue went up doesn’t it follow that your income might also go up with a job that is a better fit? And if their turnover rate went down, doesn’t it follow that your bouncing from job to job that doesn’t fit might be reduced as well?

So the first plus is that taking a good set of career assessments can help you get plugged into the right job, increase your income, and reduce the amount of time you spend moving between jobs.

As a secondary plus, taking assessments will get you comfortable with them. Since so many businesses are using them as part of the screening process, taking a few on your own will give you some comfort and confidence when you take theirs. In effect, it will serve as practice for part of the interview process.

A third plus is that an enlightened employer might in some cases re-direct and hire you for a job other than the one you initially applied for. I re-directed people on a number of occasions to other departments where we had openings.

A fourth value is that good assessments will give you some insight on how to do your current or future job the most effective way based on your strengths. It is a big misnomer that there is one best way to successfully accomplish a particular set of tasks and goals or carry out the roles of a specific job title. I have managed very successful sales reps in the same industry with vastly different strengths and corresponding methods that led to their successes.

A fifth value of a strength assessment is that it can give you insight on what you need to improve or develop. My strong bias based on years of observation and research may be counterintuitive for you. My bias is that you should be working almost exclusively on developing the areas that you are already very good or at least brimming with some natural ability. This is very countercultural for most of us who have been taught to work on our weaknesses.

A sixth value dovetails with the fifth. A good assessment can reinforce the areas that you should be delegating or outsourcing. And this goes way beyond the office. Richard Branson is one of the most gifted entrepreneurs on the planet today and probably of all time. In a Fortune Magazine article Richard tells how his finance guy only recently helped him to grasp the difference between net and gross income. He explained it in fishing terms something like this… “Imagine you catch a bunch fish in a net but some get away. The gross is what you originally caught. The net is what you ended keeping after some got away.” Richard was learning this 3rd or 4th grade level finance long after he had reached BILLIONAIRE status. Richard Branson is a phenomenal business person… but he obviously learned to delegate the financial part of business very early on. On the other hand he is a literal genius with marketing and the non-financial aspects of business start-up. He has further developed only what he was already naturally fantastic at and found trusted people to count his ample money.

As I said this goes beyond the office. I am lousy with yard work. When I bought my first new house there was a particular plant in my front yard that was growing rapidly and I thought looking quite good. Imagine my dismay when a friend came over and had to explain to me that my beautiful plant was Johnson Grass and would turn the rest of my yard into a weed infested mess if I didn’t get it out of there fast. Today I have wisely made the decision to allow Susy full freedom to run the yard in those areas that are fun for her. The physical stuff like mowing and pruning we outsource to a gifted gardener. My parents made this decision with housework and during some years cooking fairly young in life. It was a wise choice.

A seventh value continues to build on the last one. A good assessment can identify and reinforce some areas or tasks that don’t need to be done at. We sometimes hallucinate that everything we do actually has to be done. Well….probably not.

Now let’s quickly look at the limitations…

First, if you are looking for an assessment to tell you exactly what to do with your life you are in trouble. They should be viewed as suggestive or as I’ve said pointers in a general direction. Assessments can put some fresh ideas on the table that you would have never thought of on your own.  I try to be very careful never to refer to these tools as a test!  I call them assessments, indicators, and instruments.

Second, no assessment can recognize or measure the full breadth and mix of even one person’s make up. Actually only God is equipped for that task. I recommend taking 2 or 3 assessments each year and even repeating some that have proven particularly accurate and useful in the past. Different assessments are designed to measure different things so a variety of them can be most useful.
Make sure you run the results through your own screen of logic and self awareness. Run it by a few trusted friends and your spouse. Combine the results with their insight as well as what you have gathered from probing questions and exercises like the ones I’ve just shared. From all those sources you should begin to get an accurate composite of who you really are.

Lastly, you notice I mention God from time to time in my writing. I believe in a God who knows you intimately, created you, and to my point here, created you to be fulfilled when doing and accomplishing some very specific things He planned for your life. Why not ask Him for insight?  I believe He will answer your prayer...and He may even use a good assessment to communicate that answer.

No comments:

Build The Career You Love!

Welcome to "Maximize Your Career", a site designed to '"Revolutionize Your Approach To Life and Work. Our goals are to offer daily posts and resources that will help you enjoy increasingly higher levels of success, satisfaction, and significance. We will help you focus on productive attitudes, increased use of your aptitudes, talents, and abilities, and navigate the job searching, sorting, and selection process. This site is for career professionals, business owners, managers, parents, educators, and students who want to increase their effectiveness in the world of work. Whether you are super-employed, unemployed, underemployed, miserably-employed, nervously-employed – in school preparing for work or in retirement returning to work – you are an incredible, we believe one-of-a-kind person made by God who is as motivator Zig Ziglar says, “Designed for Accomplishment, Engineered for Success, Endowed with the Seeds of Greatness.”

This blog comes with free access to: The web’s largest job search engines, a network of more than 100 career group locations, a free 80 page Maximize Your Career Booklet, links and resources from national experts like Marcus Buckingham, Harvey Mackay, Tom Peters, and Seth Godin, over a dozen short biographies from Entrepreneur Magazine on people like Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page, film maker George Lucas, Ben and Jerry The Ice-Cream Guys, and more...

What are you Insanely Great at? What could you be great at if you developed it? What are the moments when you think "I was made for this"? Read on. Explore the Career Assessment Strength Links on the side bar to your right. Nose around in our Career Bookstore. Begin a process designed to put your unique strengths out into the world where you and everyone else can enjoy the benefits.

Comments on Coaching and Classes

"The Purpose of this letter is to describe the benefits I enjoyed from my coaching experience with Dale Cobb. I had a very specific issue, which I needed help getting over the hump with. Our conversations were very helpful in keeping me on track and getting me to the finish line. I believe that Dale is a keen observer of the human condition and has the ability to reflect back an individuals thoughts and goals as one strives for success. I found the services offered by Dale to be timely and effective. In the future, I am sure I will be presented with challenges that require outside assistance. When that time comes, I will not hesitate to call on Dale for his fresh bright and insightful guidance."

Thank You,
Joe Sexton
Managing Partner, CFR Executive Search
Chicago, Illinois


“Working with Dale has always been rewarding. Dale has always been on the leading edge developing new ways of marketing his products and services. Always willing to try new approaches and follow through... Always convincing.”

Fred Friday, Director of Operations
Fundcraft Publishing
Memphis, Tennessee


"Dale has always impressed me with his integrity, marketing insights, compassion and follow through. He thinks outside the box, asks the questions that others fail to ask and has a real heart for training others to be the best they can be. You can count on Dale."


Tim Turner, Owner Turner Strategic
Atlanta, Georgia


“Dale is always the most prepared person in the room. He has the ability to listen and clarify the issue at hand. He is a creative, caring leader. He has always been a joy to work with.”

Beverly Sherman, Owner Creative Connections
Lansing, Michigan


I would like to take the opportunity to offer my recommendation for Dale Cobb. He has the remarkable ability to clearly listen to a problem, understand the issues and suggest a course of action that satisfies the needs of me and my clients. I cannot tell you how many times his advice was precisely what I needed to close a deal or carefully resolve a difficult situation. He is resourceful and creative in his teaching style. Over all he helped me to be more efficient and successful in my career.


Michael Ward
Sacramento, California


It has been an incredible experience for me having you as my coach. As a small business owner I have at times felt isolated and stuck in my own thinking. With your excellent coaching I have been able to expand not only my thinking about existing design practice but about the design and building industry and how I can enlarge my place in it.


Interior Designer
Carmel, California


Dale helped me with exploring perspectives, chunking them down, setting goals, action planning, and overcoming hurdles (professionally and personally). The coaching format has moved me from a dream to implementing an action plan.

Management Consultant
Greenbrae, California


I have found your coaching very helpful. I have been somewhat stuck in my career decisions, but with your understanding and focus I am now moving forward. I am now positive about my direction and the steps I want to take. The coaching has also helped my personal life. I thank you for being there for me now and in the future.


Retired Dentist
Meadow Vista, California


This is one of the most beneficial and rewarding classes I have attended. Thank You.

Comfortable casual feeling....Lots of laughter...Made classes fun and increased learning.


Everything was explained so clearly. I came away from the course having learned a great deal.


Very interesting, I've learned a lot... The material has given me a lot to work with.I've enjoyed all the sessions and feel I received something from each session to help me be a better person.