Tuesday, March 23, 2010

You Have A Strategy That Is Perfectly...

I don’t suppose it’s a news flash that chess is strategy game. One of the first books I ever received as a young child was a chess book written by a business associate of my dad. It was a new type of instructional in a question and answer format that came with a book mark slide piece that was designed to progressively reveal the answers after I had an opportunity to figure it out for myself. I didn’t get far with the book or go on to excel at chess but the book was such a cool concept. Really it was the instructional strategy I remember more than the content of anything in the book.

Another cool chess related concept was found in the television show “Have Gun Will Travel”. It was a western starring Richard Boone who played the hero known as Palidin. In case you were not privileged to see this show it’s available here. If you are satisfied to just know more I’ll refer you to Wikipedia… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Gun_-_Will_Travel.  Paladin had a business card with the black knight and like the Lone Ranger’s silver bullet, he had an ample supple of these black knight chess pieces to leave behind after he solved a case. And like any hero, western or otherwise Paladin had a strategy that was unique to his character.

….(Flash forward about 40 years) I was innocently riding along in my car probably about circa 2006 listening to one of my favorite communicators Andy Stanley. All of a sudden these words attacked me from the car speakers… “You have a strategy that is perfectly designed to get the results you are getting”. Then he repeated it… and spent several minutes explaining what he meant. I won’t give you the rest word for word but the upshot is this:

Each of us has a strategy for everything we do. We may not be aware of it, the strategy may not be well thought out, it might not be thought out at all. Our strategy may be to wing it. Our strategy may be to make it up as we go along. But we have a strategy for every single thing we do in life… and it’s that strategy that is creating results we are getting... for better or for worse...for richer or for poorer. (They’re taking this phrase out of a lot wedding vows these days and that too suggests a strategy… but I digress…)

This is true about our diet. It’s true about our exercise. It’s true about our finances. It’s true about our relationships. It’s true about our interaction or lack of it with God. And to our primary point in this blog, it’s true about our career. You already have a strategy. The question we all need to ask is respectfully borrowed from television therapist Dr. Phil: “How’s that workin for ya?” How is your career strategy working for you?

This blog is filled with “strategic alternatives” or approaches designed to assist you in an attempt to “Maximize Your Career”. Every single idea presented here may not be for you. But take a few minutes right now and think about your current career strategy. Does it need tweaking? Is your strategy to wing it? Maybe your strategy is to analyze and reanalyze to the point you never execute on anything. Get a pen and notebook and jot down your strategy.

No comments:

Build The Career You Love!

Welcome to "Maximize Your Career", a site designed to '"Revolutionize Your Approach To Life and Work. Our goals are to offer daily posts and resources that will help you enjoy increasingly higher levels of success, satisfaction, and significance. We will help you focus on productive attitudes, increased use of your aptitudes, talents, and abilities, and navigate the job searching, sorting, and selection process. This site is for career professionals, business owners, managers, parents, educators, and students who want to increase their effectiveness in the world of work. Whether you are super-employed, unemployed, underemployed, miserably-employed, nervously-employed – in school preparing for work or in retirement returning to work – you are an incredible, we believe one-of-a-kind person made by God who is as motivator Zig Ziglar says, “Designed for Accomplishment, Engineered for Success, Endowed with the Seeds of Greatness.”

This blog comes with free access to: The web’s largest job search engines, a network of more than 100 career group locations, a free 80 page Maximize Your Career Booklet, links and resources from national experts like Marcus Buckingham, Harvey Mackay, Tom Peters, and Seth Godin, over a dozen short biographies from Entrepreneur Magazine on people like Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page, film maker George Lucas, Ben and Jerry The Ice-Cream Guys, and more...

What are you Insanely Great at? What could you be great at if you developed it? What are the moments when you think "I was made for this"? Read on. Explore the Career Assessment Strength Links on the side bar to your right. Nose around in our Career Bookstore. Begin a process designed to put your unique strengths out into the world where you and everyone else can enjoy the benefits.

Comments on Coaching and Classes

"The Purpose of this letter is to describe the benefits I enjoyed from my coaching experience with Dale Cobb. I had a very specific issue, which I needed help getting over the hump with. Our conversations were very helpful in keeping me on track and getting me to the finish line. I believe that Dale is a keen observer of the human condition and has the ability to reflect back an individuals thoughts and goals as one strives for success. I found the services offered by Dale to be timely and effective. In the future, I am sure I will be presented with challenges that require outside assistance. When that time comes, I will not hesitate to call on Dale for his fresh bright and insightful guidance."

Thank You,
Joe Sexton
Managing Partner, CFR Executive Search
Chicago, Illinois


“Working with Dale has always been rewarding. Dale has always been on the leading edge developing new ways of marketing his products and services. Always willing to try new approaches and follow through... Always convincing.”

Fred Friday, Director of Operations
Fundcraft Publishing
Memphis, Tennessee


"Dale has always impressed me with his integrity, marketing insights, compassion and follow through. He thinks outside the box, asks the questions that others fail to ask and has a real heart for training others to be the best they can be. You can count on Dale."


Tim Turner, Owner Turner Strategic
Atlanta, Georgia


“Dale is always the most prepared person in the room. He has the ability to listen and clarify the issue at hand. He is a creative, caring leader. He has always been a joy to work with.”

Beverly Sherman, Owner Creative Connections
Lansing, Michigan


I would like to take the opportunity to offer my recommendation for Dale Cobb. He has the remarkable ability to clearly listen to a problem, understand the issues and suggest a course of action that satisfies the needs of me and my clients. I cannot tell you how many times his advice was precisely what I needed to close a deal or carefully resolve a difficult situation. He is resourceful and creative in his teaching style. Over all he helped me to be more efficient and successful in my career.


Michael Ward
Sacramento, California


It has been an incredible experience for me having you as my coach. As a small business owner I have at times felt isolated and stuck in my own thinking. With your excellent coaching I have been able to expand not only my thinking about existing design practice but about the design and building industry and how I can enlarge my place in it.


Interior Designer
Carmel, California


Dale helped me with exploring perspectives, chunking them down, setting goals, action planning, and overcoming hurdles (professionally and personally). The coaching format has moved me from a dream to implementing an action plan.

Management Consultant
Greenbrae, California


I have found your coaching very helpful. I have been somewhat stuck in my career decisions, but with your understanding and focus I am now moving forward. I am now positive about my direction and the steps I want to take. The coaching has also helped my personal life. I thank you for being there for me now and in the future.


Retired Dentist
Meadow Vista, California


This is one of the most beneficial and rewarding classes I have attended. Thank You.

Comfortable casual feeling....Lots of laughter...Made classes fun and increased learning.


Everything was explained so clearly. I came away from the course having learned a great deal.


Very interesting, I've learned a lot... The material has given me a lot to work with.I've enjoyed all the sessions and feel I received something from each session to help me be a better person.